So what did we learn after 8 great lacrosse games. 6 Things stood out after watching lacrosse virtually all weekend (thanks tivo)…
1) ANYONE can win. Even the #1 and #2 seeds struggled early.
#2 Notre Dame was losing to a 5-10 team by a score of 7-3 at the end of 3 quarters. Somehow the Irish woke up to take the game with a 6-0 fourth quarter. #1 Syracuse trailed Bryant by 1 at the end of the first, and by the end of the third while Syracuse took the lead it was only by 2 until the fourth when Syracuse pulled away.
2) Albany may have lost this year, but with a majority of players (including ALL Thompsons), look for them to make a deeper run next year…to Memorial Day Weekend. Figure out face-offs and get tighter on D.
3) Denver made a statement. Probably played the best of any team this weekend. I was impressed with the way they played all game.
4) Duke gets lucky and confident. The ball just seemed to go Duke’s way from the game tying garbage goal, to the Loyola non-goal timeout. But a win is a win, and after defeating the defending champs, it just gives the Blue Devils that much more confidence. Duke is playing well, and confident…watch out Notre Dame.
5) Speaking of which…Notre Dame is still in a funk. Their fourth quarter run on Detroit looked more like desperation than a true awakening. The first three quarters they played SLOPPY and lazy. Not to take away from a Detroit team that played their hearts out, but the Irish looked half asleep out there.
6) In the process of throwing down the gauntlet to Cornell, Ohio State just thumped on Towson. They looked much better than I thought they would. Game on Cornell.